Share on LinkedIn

2022-05-14 22:34:21 By : Ms. Huang Susan

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Friday Update: The Wichita Fire Department wants to assure residents that fire extinguishers are safe following a workplace accident at Bombardier on Thursday.

The call came as an explosion and was later reported that the fire extinguisher exploded. But the fire department said it was actually a fire engine bottle, “which can be found in jet engines but not for sale at your local hardware store.”

“The typical red ABC-dry chemical fire extinguishers found in residential homes and public areas are not at risk of explosion. Unless, residents own a jet engine with a built-in fire engine bottle with an intact squib, they likely do not have to worry about their fire extinguishers,” the fire department continued.

WFD said it still serves as a good reminder on how to properly utilize your home extinguisher.

Update: Wichita police said a man was injured in a workplace accident at Bombardier on Thursday.

Police said the man was working on a fire extinguisher as part of his normal job when he, somehow hit the cap, and the extinguisher exploded.

The man suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

One person is reported seriously injured in an explosion at Bombardier, dispatch confirmed Thursday morning.

We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Copyright 2022 KWCH. All rights reserved.